Old 24-12-2009, 01:12 AM posted to aus.gardens
Norman[_2_] Norman[_2_] is offline

Default Tomato Problem

Thanks also to you David for your advice. I appreciate it.

Norman

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Norman wrote:
I have tomatoe plants that start off great, then when they are about
18 inches tall and quite bushy, the top leaves start turning black
and curl up and die. This then gradually spreads down the whole plant
and it then dies completely.

What is the problem and how can I stop this spreading to my other
tomato plants.

My brother who lives 200 kilometres away from me is also having the
same problem.with his tomato plants

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Norman

This sounds like a fungal attack to me though I cannot say which one. Has
the weather been very wet and/or humid lately? There isn't much you can
do immediately except destroy the affected plants (burying away from the
vege garden is good) and replant away from the infected area. Plant with
wider spacing and tie them up religiously to allow air to circulate. Try
other cultivars because some are much more resistent to fungus than
others. Also be careful with watering. Try to keep the leaves dry and
just water the roots and avoid kicking up mud with the hose. Drippers or
soakers are good here instead of sprayers or hosing.

David