Old 24-12-2009, 04:34 AM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default climate change phenomenon

"0tterbot" wrote in message
I've long wondered about both peak oil and climate change and whether
there is a difference in attitudes to both of those things between
country and city dwellers and I've finally come down on the side of a
distinct difference. City dwellers tend to witter on about it and say
all the right things, but don't seem to understand how it applies to them
and their profligate ways. I suspect that only when the water stops
flowing out of thier taps or they can't get fuel for their fourbies that
they might eventually realise what it really means. (rant mode off)

hm, sort of. but sort of not. i do think that dislocation from the natural
world does not help people to see things clearly & the relationships
between them, but i'm also mindful that i completely changed teh way i
live whilst still a city dweller - many city dwellers have, and do. just
as they have no real idea what we are doing, we don't necessarily keep in
touch with what they are doing either.

plus, i'm sure we both know rural dwellers whose behaviour is as bizarre,
wasteful, and counter-intuitive as the behaviour of a cubbie living in a
mcmansion in kellyville. (unfortunately).

Before I wrote my rant yesterday, I was trying to think of one rural dweller
(and by that I mean provide their own water) who was a real wastrel. I
couldn't think of one. But I'm sure there are some.

in many ways issues like these don't really have a country/city divide,
because there are people in both situations who just aren't seeing or
accepting or caring about things that are going on. i'm not sure the
mindset is locality-based.

i'd also say, however, that as far as i'm aware (& happy to be corrected
if i've got it wrong) that the proportion of rural-dwelling outright
deniers is far larger, even though you would expect the reverse!!

I'd quibble on that one.

i offer you the
national party as but one example - i've never voted national because i
completely disapprove of their unholy alliance, but used to feel they
played an important role. lately,

I think that they think they play an important role but I reckon they're as
effective and useful as tits on a bull.

Gotta go, someone else needs the 'puter.

Merry Xmas Kylie and to all other regualrs of the ng.