Old 27-12-2009, 09:38 AM posted to aus.gardens
Andrew Gabb Andrew Gabb is offline

Default Tomato Problem

My ability to grow tomatoes in Adelaide, typically Grosse Lisse, got
worse and worse till I got virtually no crop at all. Apparently, this is
caused by wilts, funguses, nematodes, etc., and happens in a lot of home
gardens (even with rotation) and there's not much you can do about it
apart from changing the soil or waiting a few years.

I now grow only disease resistant tomatoes and get good crops again.
Most of the seedlings show whether they're resistant or not. Maybe they
don't taste quite so good, but they're still well ahead of store bought
(wouldn't be difficult).

Andrew

Norman wrote:
I have tomatoe plants that start off great, then when they are about 18
inches tall and quite bushy, the top leaves start turning black and curl up
and die. This then gradually spreads down the whole plant and it then dies
completely.

What is the problem and how can I stop this spreading to my other tomato
plants.

My brother who lives 200 kilometres away from me is also having the same
problem.with his tomato plants

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Norman