Old 29-12-2009, 11:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
jeff jeff is offline

Default Greenhouse heating question

Steve B wrote:
In another newsgroup, there's a discussion about heating a greenhouse.
Electric heaters were mentioned. Also kerosene, but comments were made
about fumes and stickiness. Someone recommended a plain propane barbecue.
It was stated that the CO2 would be good for the plants. I was wondering
about the CO produced, and what the levels would be.

What is the best/worst ways to do supplemental heat in a greenhouse?

I don't think propane will be a good value. When I ran the numbers
here, electric was cheaper than propane. Bear in mind that electric
heaters are 100% efficient, and propane will not be.

I've got a small "greenhouse" 8' * 8' here that I have been
experimenting with.

My thoughts so far have been to minimize heat loss and to maximize
thermal storage so that night temps don't fall as far. I've had a few
hard freezes and no damage, so far, to my tropicals with no supplemental
heat. I'm thinking of adding some insulation.

You may also think about heat lamps, a little easier to put the heat
where you need it, and less sensitive to drafts as you are heating the
air only indirectly. Hot air goes out with the draft.

Jeff

Steve