Old 30-12-2009, 02:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Greenhouse heating question

jeff wrote:

You'd want to buy propane in quantity to make it affordable.

That's true, bulk propane costs about $2.50/gallon

Of course, a propane heater can kick out a lot more heat.

That's true. In most locals propane costs less than half of electric.

But you also don't have the control and options that you have with electric.

That's not true. There are many very sophisticated propane heaters
and most any propane space heater can be thermostatically controlled.
I heat my entire house with propane, I have a propane fired boiler, my
house heats with baseboard hot water, and the same system makes
domestic hot water. Many folks use propane fired forced air systems.
There is no reason that a propane system needs to be fired inside the
greenhouse either. A small propane fired hot water heater can easily
heat a greenhouse for cheap... baseboard hot water radiators would be
better for plants then blowing hot air. If one heats their house with
baseboard hot water and the house is in close proximity to the
greenhouse then the simplist least expensive method it to simply add a
zone for the greenhouse.