Old 03-01-2010, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Munir Munir is offline

Default Orchid identification.

There are two Norman's locations in L.A. One is in Montclair and there is a
sister store in the Flower District of downtown Los Angeles called, "Orchid
Affair." The downtown store has one set of business hours for wholesalers
and another set for regular people. It's on my to do list.

I'll second the idea of visiting Norman's. The owner gave me a tour of
their greenhouses in Montclair and it was jaw-dropping. Try to visit
during one of their open houses and you'll get attractive discounts
and see interesting presentation. You can also browse their collection
on-line at http://www.orchids.com/

The blooms opened up yesterday. So what do the experts say?http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...id/orchid.html

It seems clear that your Costco orchid is an oncidium hybrid. Oncidium
species can be combined with others to create easier-to-grow plants
that bloom multiple times per year. From my identification book, the
blooms in your photograph appear to be those of the hybrid called
'Oncidium Gower Ramsey'. It is a cross between Goldiana and Guinea
Gold.

From the Complete Guide to Orchids by Ortho Books, p. 167:

"This grex makes an excellent orchid for beginners. It is easy to grow
on a bright windowsill, forgiving of imperfect culture, and a prolific
bloomer. Even on a young plant, its 1/2-inch-wide, chrome yellow
flowers appear in profusion on tall, branching spikes to resemble
cheery dancing ladies in full, brightly colored skirts. A widely sold
hybrid, it will grace its growing area with glowing inflorescences
twice each year...."

Hope that helps,

Munir