Old 06-01-2010, 05:19 PM posted to triangle.gardens
[email protected] infodex@mindspring.com is offline

Default Artichokes

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 21:14:51 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 15:11:51 -0400 in Richard Evans wrote:
I have five artichoke plants in my container garden. The foliage is
lush, but no sign of any artichokes. I seem to recall reading that it
takes two years to form artichokes. Should I just let the plants
winter over and see what happens next year?

It's a perennial.
But appears to only be hardy to Zone 8a.
If you can plant them in the ground close to the house on a southern exposure
you probably won't need to do more than put a sheet over them on the coldest
nights this winter.
Otherwise, pull them inside just before the first night it's due to hit
25F.

Too late for that. The exposed foliage is already dead.

They are in containers, on a south-facing deck, about eight feet off
the ground. I did a quick Google and found something that says I
should prune the dead foliage and mulch the surface and they will come
back in the spring. Guess I'll do that and keep my fingers crossed.