Old 07-01-2010, 11:50 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_21_] Jonno[_21_] is offline

Default Tomato Problem

On 23/12/2009 10:40 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Norman wrote:
I have tomatoe plants that start off great, then when they are about
18 inches tall and quite bushy, the top leaves start turning black
and curl up and die. This then gradually spreads down the whole plant
and it then dies completely.

What is the problem and how can I stop this spreading to my other
tomato plants.

My brother who lives 200 kilometres away from me is also having the
same problem.with his tomato plants

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Norman

This sounds like a fungal attack to me though I cannot say which one.
Has the weather been very wet and/or humid lately? There isn't much you
can do immediately except destroy the affected plants (burying away from
the vege garden is good) and replant away from the infected area. Plant
with wider spacing and tie them up religiously to allow air to
circulate. Try other cultivars because some are much more resistent to
fungus than others. Also be careful with watering. Try to keep the
leaves dry and just water the roots and avoid kicking up mud with the
hose. Drippers or soakers are good here instead of sprayers or hosing.

David

Yep David is probiscly right, but if you had planted a fungal resistant
type, you may have avoided the problem. also antifungal sprays would
also help. This needs to be applied when fungal problems are most
prevalent. IE high humidity.
This is caused by climate change, and we need to have the Copenhagen
treaty signed before it will work. Ask David Hare Scott about this...
Higher TAXATION WILL DEFINITELY HELP WITH THIS.