Old 07-01-2010, 02:57 PM posted to triangle.gardens
[email protected] pakrat@usenet.pr.neotoma.org is offline

Default Artichokes

On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 12:53:04 -0500 in wrote:

Yeah, I worry about that, but I have no place to put them in the
ground where they will get any sun. If they die, they die. I've
already cut in half the list of things I'll plant next year, so maybe
artichokes will not make the cut either.

Well there are tricks for overwintering plants in containers.
Essentially you dig a trench, put the containers in the trench
(Laying on their side if it's something tall like a tree),
back fill with dirt, and cover with leaves or straw for insulation.

Dig them up and put them in their proper places once it gets warm enough
that the soil in the containers won't freeze solid.
--
Chris Dukes