Old 10-01-2010, 06:50 AM posted to aus.gardens
[email protected] tony@altavista.com is offline

Default Tomato Problem

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 08:48:29 +1100, "Norman"
wrote:

I have tomatoe plants that start off great, then when they are about 18
inches tall and quite bushy, the top leaves start turning black and curl up
and die. This then gradually spreads down the whole plant and it then dies
completely.

What is the problem and how can I stop this spreading to my other tomato
plants.

My brother who lives 200 kilometres away from me is also having the same
problem.with his tomato plants

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Norman

Sounds like calcium deficiency.

See this page I found, has good descriptions and photos.

You may be able to recognise your problem from here.

As an aside, I hbave started a small hydroponic system, and when
checking the water Ph, it mentions that calcium uptake can be affected
if your Ph is over the 6.0 ~ 6.5 range.

Maybe you should check the Ph of your soil, and possibly also that
water you are using.

I have found that here in Perth. it is not uncommon for the scheme
water to have a Ph of around 8.00, and I have tokeep adding adjusters
to bring it down so the plants can make use of the nutients.

Perhaps this may help your situation

Tony