Old 18-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default Fragrant purple roses! was Which darn catalog?

laurie (Mother Mastiff) wrote:

Ah. Possibly due to the influence of a childhood in the US Marines, I have
a marked inability to appreciate anything that is very red or yellow. g
Granada being a happy exception (it was my first rose, and with Angel Face
and Double Delight, established my expectation that all worthwhile roses
should be beautiful AND fragrant).

Maybe that's why I tend to have an aversion to blue - I grew up as an
Air Force brat. *grin*

There are coral color, peachy, apricot, and coffee-colored flowers I adore,
but for once I wanted an actual theme. I wanted to see how much variety I
could encompass while staying within the family of
blue-purple-lavender-pink-white.

Funny, I didn't intend it but the more I look at my front beds, I
realize that I do definitely have a theme going of
purple-lavender-pink-white with some touches of yellow here and there.
Just touches though right now as the overwhelming impression is of
purples and pinks. Purple bearded irises, purple and white with purple
violets (as groundcover), pink phlox, purple and white hyacinths, etc.

So far, so good, but I can't afford to replace the two big beds of orange
roadside daylilies with pink or purple ones, and didn't have the heart to
take out the two ancient huge shrimp colored mini azaleas. So there IS some
contrast, in spite of me. Just not red or yellow.

I ripped out azaleas to put in the mimiature roses. Azaleas just don't
do it for me as they only flower in the spring. I want more colour and
show than that for bed "anchor" plants.

Hey, I thought obsessions were like roses (or colds) and ~needed~ feeding???
vbg

You explain that to the s.o. *grin* The only encouraging part (to him)
of feeding the gardening/rose obsession is that it doesn't add to the
book collection/obsession. Well... at least not too much. *big grin*

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu