Old 28-01-2010, 09:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Christina Websell[_2_] Christina Websell[_2_] is offline

Default Leylandii for burning?

"John L" wrote in message
Cross-posted to DIY and to Gardening:

A bit late to ask because I've just finished sawing up about half a ton!
However there is another ton to come.

What's leylandii like as a fuel (open fire, and/or wood burner)?

I'm not intending using it until next winter.

Absolutely not. It's full of resin or some sort of stuff that spits like
crazy which is dangerous in an open fire.
I have a woodburner and I don't even use conifer wood in that - it can spit
out of the dampers on the front even if open a half inch and set the carpet
on fire whilst you are out of the room for a few minutes.
So my advice is don't use it for fuel in your house.
The foliage makes a good starter for a bonfire even when green but stand
well back if you don't want to lose your eyebrows..

Tina

Tina