Old 15-02-2010, 04:55 AM posted to aus.gardens
Trish Brown Trish Brown is offline

Default Arguments

Can't we all just say 'infinity' and let it go?

Continually feeding these pointless conversations is drowning the ng in
fresh, steaming, *unrotted* manure.

Y'know, you don't *have* to respond when someone posts something that
disagrees with you. Just let it go and we'll all feel better.

My garden is drooping at the moment. Well, we're watering, but the lawn
is overgrown and the beds need a bit of weeding and extra mulch. It's
been so hot and humid, no one feels like getting out and doing the usual
maintenance. We keep telling each other 'Tomorrow, when it's cooler...',
but it never seems to be cool enough!

The beans and peas have got mildew because I (mistakenly) planted too
many plants too close together. The watermelon has covered everything
and we have a glut of melons which is getting more and more worrying.
The family and neighbours are heartily sick of me asking 'Would you like
another melon?' Not only that, but the butternut pumpkin has met up with
and conjoined itself to the melon vine. There are umpteen little yellow
pear-shaped pumpkins growing among the many melons and I'm visualising
pots and pots of pumpkin soup and a plethora of pumpkin pies - oh dear!

LOL! And to think I nearly planted several watermelon and pumpkin
seedlings! One of each is quite enough, thank you.

Inside, I've put a Venus Fly Trap and a Pitcher Plant on my kitchen
windowsill (only for decoration, you understand). In the first week, the
Pitcher Plant entrapped a European Wasp that managed to make its way
inside, so I'm chuffed about that. Venus Fly Trap is a bit languid at
the moment, but I feel she'll come good when her traps have enlarged a
bit. It never occurred to me that my carnivorous plants might actually
carnivorate, but they did! Lucky me! ;-

For the first time in memory, all our African Violets have carked it! My
DS is in charge of those, as he has quite a way with Afro Violets.
Nevertheless, the Great Heat this year has dried them out phenomenally
and despite DS' best efforts, they've all turned up their sepals and
gone to meet the Great Gardener. Shame, that.

One extremely nice thing about our garden is that, since we removed all
the feelthy steenking palm trees, we no longer get liberally sprinkled
with ripe, steaming bat-shit. This is a blessing and I do smile to
myself as I listen to the bubble of bats in the tree four doors down.
They're lovely to watch from a distance, but you really don't want bats
flying over your clothesline. Or, indeed, your white dog!

Finally, a Blue-Tongue has had babies somewhere in our yard and there's
all these little baby Blueys pottering about. I think I mentioned a
while back that one turned up underneath my bed! This means I have to be
vigilant about the foul and disgusting Indian Mynas, who seem to enjoy
crown-roast of baby Bluey very much. If anyone's got any clever ideas
about scaring them away (the mynas, not the blueys) - aside from rushing
outdoors, waving a fly swatter or wooden spoon and screeching like a
madwoman...

!!!

.... I'd love to hear of it.

And that's my little garden at the moment.

How about everyone else?

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia