Old 16-02-2010, 03:47 AM posted to aus.gardens
anm anm is offline

Default Arguments

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 13:12:15 +1100, David Hare-Scott wrote:

Trish Brown wrote:
SG1 wrote:

The other day I left the tank water tap on when giving the dogs a
drink.

Bugger!

The rain atm is helping to make up for my booboo. The pumpkins are
going beserk.

I reckon you could probably see them growing if you were willing to
stand there for an hour or so and watch. DH is about to go out and
build a trellisy arrangment to keep the vines out of the rose garden.
Talk about peripatetic! (The vines, not the husband...)

DH? Dear Hubby? You have to watch those initialisms.

I once was at a meeting which included social policy types who were
talking about DSEs when another bloke whispered to me "why are they
talking about sheep?" I had to explain that they meant Designated
Spouse Equivalents not Drenched Sheep Equivalents.

Then there was the time I got into terrible trouble talking about
Predetermined Motion Time Standards (I am not making this up it actaully
happened).

David

Sorry David, but normal usage for DSE is not as quoted; it is DRY SHEEP
EQUIVALENT/S. See below:

"The stocking rate of pastures is the number of animals
per unit area of land, irrespective of the amount of
forage available.

Dry sheep equivalents (DSE)
The dry sheep equivalent is widely accepted in Australia
as the livestock unit to which the feed requirements of
other types of livestock can be related most satisfactorily.
DSE’s are also used when comparing the profitability of
different farming enterprises.
A DSE is the estimated energy required to maintain the
body weight of a two year old wether" Merino sheep (a
non-breeding animal) weighing 45 kg."

For one reference (and there are many other sites):
http://www.australianboergoat.com.au/index2.php?
option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=32&Itemid=27

Keep smiling
anm