Old 21-02-2010, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Pond water level

"Broadback" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Broadback" wrote...
Since the cold weather freezing the water my pond level has dropped
substantially. Is that likely to be natural or has it developed a leak?

If your weather has been anything like ours, it hasn't stopped raining
recently topping up our pond in the process, it's very likely you have
leak.

If it's a concrete pond frost can do that and you may have to empty it
to find the problem/crack, possibly put a liner in. If it's a liner pond
then let the water drop and where it stops dropping you will find the
leak, normally where some animal has clawed it's way out, there are
patches for liners.

Since the cold spell started we have had (until last night) very little
snow or rain. the level has dropped significantly from the level it was
before freezing to now it is no longer frozen. It is a lined pond.

Frost and freezing don't normally affect liner ponds as the liner is able to
move and will not be damaged in the process. Even in winter with dry air it
is possible that evaporation will account for some drop in water level, is
the water drop worse than in a normal summer?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden