Old 23-02-2010, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback[_2_] Broadback[_2_] is offline

Default Pond water level

June Hughes wrote:
In message , Broadback
writes
Since the cold weather freezing the water my pond level has dropped
substantially. Is that likely to be natural or has it developed a leak?

Does it have a pump and a filter? If so, the tank that the water pumps
through may be clogged up with muck and need cleaning. If that happens,
the water can't get through the silt and comes out of the top of the
tank very quickly indeed. The tank may look OK when you lift the lid and
you may not have noticed the water running out of the top. If you have
sponges in the tank, they will need cleaning with water before replacing
in the tank. (A messy but rewarding job). If you have koi, you must then
add the appropriate chemicals to get rid of the chlorine. (Sorry if
someone else has said this - I have only just seen your post and
answered immediately as I have to go and cook now).

Thanks for all the help, I guess when it warms up a little I will look
for a leak, I have no pump, just fills from rain fall, with the odd top
up in Summer from water butts.

--
Skulking in the low lands of North Staffordshire
Please reply to group,emails to designated