Old 24-02-2010, 07:03 AM posted to rec.gardens
EVP MAN EVP MAN is offline

Default Growing Tobacco

As the price of tobacco products shoot sky high it seems more people are
taking an interest in growing their own. I'm considering a dozen or two
plants this spring myself. It seems to be very easy to grow from what
I've been reading on the net. The big problem seems to be curing it
which can take a very long time depending on the method used. I'm
considering sun curing which seems to be the quickest curing method. I
plan to harvest the leaves from the bottom of the plant up as they begin
to turn from green to yellow. I'll cut and tie the leaves in small
clusters and hang them in the sun for two or three weeks after which
I'll then transfer them to my basement where they will be hung from the
rafters. I plan to chop them up as needed in a food processor and roll
them into cigarettes or smoke them in a pipe. I even considered another
alternative to sun drying but not sure how well it may work. Harvest
the leaves and hang them directly in my basement. Then use a food
dehydrator to dry them as needed. Can anyone give me any ideas to
ponder???

Rich from PA zone 6