Old 10-03-2010, 08:01 PM posted to triangle.gardens
[email protected] pakrat@usenet.pr.neotoma.org is offline

Default Ducks

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 15:28:03 -0500 in Sue wrote:
Duck eggs are dee-licious. They will have brighter orange-ish yolks. As with
chickens, when they have access to bugs and veggies, the yolks have a richer
color but in no way obnoxious flavor.
Any egg when hard-boiled will develop a greenish 'skin' around the yolks.
Maybe that's what you saw and thought odd, though it's quite normal...?

I'd be interested in ducks too... though i love my hens.

Well, I've been drilling through the "todos"
Book on raising ducks read.
Space for housing and pasture calculated and a spot chosen in the back yard.
Triangle Horse Sports should be able to provide the feed.
And there's another option of supplementing chicken feed for laying.
Rough design for a duck house worked out.

Now it's a matter of getting parts together to build housing, a predator
proof run, and a dog free zone... Pick up a "duckling containment unit"
(Kiddie pool). Call the Wake Forest post office to make arrangements,
and order some ducklings.

--
Chris Dukes