Old 19-03-2010, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dan Musicant Dan Musicant is offline

Default Tomatoes - Ace versus Early Girl versus ?

I've been growing Early Girl for almost a decade, maybe more. At my
local nursery (Orchard Supply in Berkeley) at the moment the only 6
packs they have are Ace. I once grew Ace but it was way before I got the
hang of growing tomatoes. I'm very good at it now.

Is Ace going to be satisfactory? It's not so very warm here most of the
summer, not optimal tomato growing weather, and that's why I've stuck
with Early Girl. However, they have Ace in the nurseries, so I figure it
must not be a bad one for here. I just called Berkeley Horticultural
Society, and they said they won't sell 6 packs. That rules me out. I'm
not going to pay $10 and up for my tomatoes when I can get a 6 pack at
OSH for $229. In a week they are as big as the 3" potted plants.

The guy at Berkeley Hort said he prefers the Early Girl because "they
taste better."

What do you think?

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net