Old 24-03-2010, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Tomato seedlings, source on SF East Bay's I80 corridor (Berkeley to Milpitas)?

In article ,
Dan Musicant wrote:

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:33:11 -0700, Dan Musicant
wrote:

:My main problem with tomatoes at the moment is just that I can't find a
:6 pack of Early Girl. Seems that all the Orchard Supply Hardware stores
:in the area aren't stocking them currently.
:
oes anyone know of a source of tomato 6 packs (Early Girl is what I'm
:after) in the S.F. East Bay's I80 corridor? I'm driving from Berkeley to
:Milpitas tomorrow and could make a stop for seedlings. Thanks for any
:ideas. Suggest a store and I will call it.
:
:I worked hard the last week to prepare my bed. Usually I have my
:tomatoes in the ground by now.
:
an

A manager at my local OSH just called me and told me that in 2 days
(Friday) they will have 6 packs of Early Girl. He said the supplier was
later than usual due to the heavy rains. I'm skeptical concerning that
explanation (kept that to myself), but thanked him. I'll go in Friday
(after calling them to confirm) and hope to finally score my seedlings.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

My experience has been that Home Despot and the fashionable boutique-y
nurseries sell by the pot at first and then come out with the six packs
when most people have already planted. My best luck has been with small
neighborhood nurseries, who need to satisfy their customers.

Do you really get any growth out of your tomatoes at this time of year?
Seventy degrees is the suggested soil temp for planting. I suppose you
could speed things up with a row cover. My tomatoes usually just sit
there until sometime after mid-May, and then start growing.

Anyway, my suggestion is to hit the phonebook, or google "nurseries,
East Bay", and then start phoning.