Old 01-04-2010, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
aem aem is offline

Default Tomato seedlings, source on SF East Bay's I80 corridor (Berkeleyto Milpitas)?

On Mar 24, 2:13 pm, Billy wrote:

Do you really get any growth out of your tomatoes at this time of year?
Seventy degrees is the suggested soil temp for planting. I suppose you
could speed things up with a row cover. My tomatoes usually just sit
there until sometime after mid-May, and then start growing.

I've always read that tomatoes will progress when the night time soil
temp is at or above 50°F. In addition to Early Girl there are
heirloom Siberian tomatoes that are said to do well in cooler
climates. I have planted one, called Black Prince, this year not so
much for climate reasons--we get plenty hot enough--but because it's
said to taste great. -aem