Old 05-04-2010, 03:28 PM posted to triangle.gardens
[email protected] pakrat@usenet.pr.neotoma.org is offline

Default Where to buy tomatoes?

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 21:12:28 +0000 (UTC) in Nosmo King wrote:
I like to buy the small plants in the Dixie cup size container, but it
looks like the big box stores (HD, Lowes, Wal-Mart, etc) have "upsized" to
a larger plant. They all seem to carry Bonnie brand. Any suggestions on
other places to buy? I do plan to get a few from Craig/NCTomatoman when
he is at the Farmer's Market in a couple weeks.

If you're in North Raleigh, try Homewood nursery, in previous years they
have had tomatoes in 4packs, some heirloom, some hybrid standbies.

If you in Cary/Holly Springs, try Fairview nurseries. I have no clue
if they are any good, but they've been advertising the hell out of the
matter that they start their own plants.

I'd also suggest the yellow pages, google maps, and the phone.

And the bulk of the bonnie plants are produced by Metrolina Greenhouses.
You can try calling them and finding out what sizes they are distributing
this year.

Be warned that the very wet growing season last year did have an impact
on easy coast seed producers. Some seed sales companies are having
difficulty providing enough seed. I've also had very poor germination
rates on sweet peppers this year.
--
Chris Dukes