Old 07-04-2010, 09:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens.edible
gwandsh gwandsh is offline

Default Barrier in ground to ward off tree root invasion

On Apr 7, 11:41*am, Dan Musicant wrote:
My very large plum tree is north of my tomato plot and the branches
overhang the northern most tomato plants (the trench for the tomatoes
runs north and south). Even if and when I trim the tree boughs (so
sunlight isn't intercepted), the roots invade the root space of the
northern most 1-2 tomato plants unless I insert barriers to keep the
plum tree roots out. Unless I block tree root access, the northern-most
tomato plant or two are pretty scrawny. Last year, the barrier was
fairly effective, it will be less so this year because the thin veneer
plywood material is decomposing in spite of the wood preservative I
applied when inserted last year.

I'm looking for a material I can use for a root barrier that will last a
few years, maybe last indefinitely. Can I pick up something at Home
Depot or Orchard Supply Hardware that I can maybe cut into pieces with a
jigsaw and use for a root barrier that will last a while?

The trench I dig for my tomatoes is generally about 2 feet deep, because
once I get to that depth (I virtually always do this some time in March)
the trench has standing water when I get to about 2 feet. The soil is
pretty heavily clay, so I work in loads of compost when I refill the
trench, which I make myself. The barriers I've been putting in are about
2 feet (maybe a bit more) from top to bottom.

I might remove the tree, but of course that's a BIG job. Suggestions
appreciated!

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

We had a similar issue with neighbors' roots invading. We used a
scrap piece of metal siding cut with tin snips into a rectangle, and
buried on long edge just below ground level. Worked for the couple of
years it was in place before we moved, probably will continue to work
for years.

Wondering if the paint/rust that might develop off sheet steel would
be harmful to the tomatoes? probably no more so than any preservative
that would come your plywood.