Old 08-04-2010, 02:48 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens.edible
Dan Musicant Dan Musicant is offline

Default Barrier in ground to ward off tree root invasion

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 12:48:23 -0700 (PDT), gwandsh
wrote:

:We had a similar issue with neighbors' roots invading. We used a
:scrap piece of metal siding cut with tin snips into a rectangle, and
:buried on long edge just below ground level. Worked for the couple of
:years it was in place before we moved, probably will continue to work
:for years.
:
:Wondering if the paint/rust that might develop off sheet steel would
:be harmful to the tomatoes? probably no more so than any preservative
:that would come your plywood.

I actually have a sheet of aluminum, it being a sign I found. It would
undoubtedly work, but I'd have to cut it (I think it's bigger than 2'
wide), but it's not enough. I figure I need around 20 square feet. Well,
at least 12.

I was thinking some kind of plastic, but plastic sheeting sounds like it
might work. As long as it doesn't break or crack, that is.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net