Old 25-02-2003, 04:15 AM
DH

Default Garden plot planning?

Any good reference books/sites/software out there how to plot out a
vegetable/herb garden? I am moving in about a month, and am currently
really trying to get a wonderful parcel on ten acres. (Wish me luck - I'm
second in line depending on if the first potential buyers can drop their
contingency.) I'd like to devote about an acre to a vegetable garden to
start, but was wondering how best to plan it out. For example, I know that
some vegetables grow well side by side, but others shade out lower-growing
veggies. What distance should veggie types be from each other, what side of
the garden (i.e, north, west, south, east) should particular plants go, etc.
How far apart should individual plants be from each other. (I know this is
on the seed packets, but I'm looking for a more comprehensive tool to plan
out the garden in advance.)

I love just about every veggie (except radishes), so I want to plant quite a
variety, but I've never been good at placement and figuring out what to
plant early enough so that I can plant a second crop later after the early
crop expires.

I have a lot of good gardening books, but nothing that really covers
planning out the layout well, except for a little book I have about
postage-stamp gardens