Old 14-04-2010, 12:21 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Rodney Pont[_4_] Rodney Pont[_4_] is offline

Default Lighting for a Planted 29 gal high

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 11:03:58 -0700 (PDT), JLG wrote:

I have one flora glo 20 W- 24 (61 cm)- 25 mm Diameter- T8 bulb for my
29gal high planted aquarium. Is this enough lighting? My fixture can
hold two bulbs, should I add another?

It depends on how your plants are growing. If they are growing well you
probably have enough lighting for them. Some plants only need low
lighting while others need a higher level. T8 tubes don't give out as
much light as T5 ones and some plants would require 4 T5 tubes to do
well especially if it's a deep tank.

The tubes light output falls as they age so you should replace them
annually so you could get another T8 tube and try it and if you get a
lot of algae growth use it to replace the old tube when it's a year
old. If you need to get another ballast unit I'd see if I could get a
T5 one that would fit. The Arcadia electronic units are very good and
they do J5 tubes that are really T5 ones but match the length of some
T8 tubes.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail rpont (at) gmail (dot) com