Old 18-04-2010, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim A Jim A is offline

Default red pupa in dirt

lpete301 wrote:
My kids have come across a red pupa in the dirt around our strawberry
plants. We have brought two of them in, with some dirt and are waiting
to see what they are going to become. I understand that they could be
any number of moths, but they look like a Large Yellow Underwing. We
see the caterpillars that look just like the pics all around our yard.

My question is: About how long before they hatch from their chrysalids
and how do we care for them? We have them in a butterfly habitat that
is netted all around and has a plastic lid that closes with a zipper.
So they have plenty of air flow, and just a small amount of dirt that
they are laying on top of. I am thinking they may need more dirt, but I
am not sure how much.

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Linda (mom) Laura and Amanda (7), Megan (11).

I remember finding a similar pupa when I was a kid. We put it in a
small propagator indoors (so at ambient temperature) and on some earth
just laying on top. I don't think it really matters how much earth but
I guess the slight dampness keeps the pupa from dessicating. If I
recall (it was a while ago!) it emerged in a day or two. ymmv. The
main thing I remember my dad (a zoologist) saying was to keep a regular
eye on it so we could make sure it could fly away and find food as soon
as it was ready to.

--
www.slowbicyclemovement.org - enjoy the ride