Old 18-04-2010, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christina Websell[_2_] Christina Websell[_2_] is offline

Default red pupa in dirt

"lpete301" wrote in message

My kids have come across a red pupa in the dirt around our strawberry
plants. We have brought two of them in, with some dirt and are waiting
to see what they are going to become. I understand that they could be
any number of moths, but they look like a Large Yellow Underwing. We
see the caterpillars that look just like the pics all around our yard.

My question is: About how long before they hatch from their chrysalids
and how do we care for them? We have them in a butterfly habitat that
is netted all around and has a plastic lid that closes with a zipper.
So they have plenty of air flow, and just a small amount of dirt that
they are laying on top of. I am thinking they may need more dirt, but I
am not sure how much.

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Go on to birdforum.net and get into the thread about moths, lots of experts
there.