Old 18-04-2010, 11:06 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Phyllis and Jim Phyllis and Jim is offline

Default OT Hanging tomato

My son in Charlotte and Phyllis here liked the idea of the upside-down
tomatos. I suggested just using a 5 gal bucket, right side up. The
tomatos will hang over just fine and grow near your patio. Wind can
cut them off below the hanging basket and is a bit less likely to
grind them off when they are over the edge. For that matter, it could
just sit on the patio with a wire cage to grow UP as do garden
tomatos!

Well, anyway, I now have a black 5 gal bucket hanging from the crepe
myrtle by our deck by the pond. It has three plants in to...so there
can be some attrition. They are siblings of the ones in my garden, so
comparison can be made later. The ones in the garden have 18"
diameter cylinders of 2 x 4"cement mesh cloth to grow in. The
cylinders have plenty of openings to reach in.

Has anyone had experience with the hanging tomatos?

Jim