Old 20-04-2003, 03:20 AM
Lambert

Default Bromeliads - Pineapples

I've done some rough research and all I can come up with is that the enzyme
may have something to do with the plant's method to acquire nutrients. The
crown at the top of the pineapple collects decomposing material and absorbs
nutrients this way.

I thought about the enzymes being appealing for eating etc. but Bromelin
hydrolizes proteins and would be generally uncomfortable for an animal to
eat (speculation)? Certainly when humans eat pineapples their tongues can
feel itchy/raw/red etc...

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message
.. .
Lambert schreef
I know about the effects of bromelin on polypeptide chains and how it

hydrolizes proteins. Also, the canning process denatures the enzymes via
heat. Hence you don't get the tingling sensation on your tongue (the
pineapple is actually catalysing proteins on your tongue.)

I'm just wondering about why the pineapple and other fruits (papayas,

pawpaws) have evolved to have bromelin enzymes. What exactly is the
particular survival advantage of having such a trait?

+ + +

One of the avenues to explore is the direct one:
these enzymes are in the fruits
the fruits are eaten, and hopefully the seeds are spread
the plants that has the fruits that are preferred by those animals that
spread the fruits the furthest or to the most suitable locations will
survive best
etc

Another is the systematic approach
in what plant groups do these enzyms occur?
do these plant groups have similar enzyms used for something else?
etc
PvR