Old 20-04-2003, 05:20 AM

Default Awesome Aquarium Light

nothing like personal experience to negate the rules of physics. Ingrid

"Agitator_" wrote:

All I can say is that if Florescent Lights re-created the same spectrum as
the sun, I would be in the hospital.

I have terrible reactions to the sunlight, but can sit under Florescent
lighta all day without any problems. However, if I sit too close to my
turtle's Repti-glow FLorescent light, I get "Sun Burned"...

As far a different intensity... since I can get sunburned througha shirt,
in my car.... it is obviously not the right explaination....

CHeers

"NetMax" wrote in message
Thanks for the links Ingrid! I think the issue with your original
statement :
"not to mention that any run of the mill fluorescent light has the same
spectrum as the sun.... just not as intense. Ingrid"
was that it was oversimplified, leading the reader to think the relative
amplitudes at all frequencies were the same, and just the overall
intensity was lower, when you actually meant that all the lights had
components in all the frequencies at varying amplitudes. I wonder if
fluorescents actually have any nulls?!?

It would be instructive to see a chart of sunlight spectrum vs. amplitude
recorded underwater at a depth of about 18". Are you aware of anyone
having done this? I imagine there would be a somewhat linear attenuation
of the longer wavelengths making it shift red. Then someone could invent
a fully submerged light (variable of course) with a thermostat, to double
as a heater and plant-spectra light source (and we could all throw away
our light hoods). It might need a small stainless steel heat sink above
water if the total BTUs were more than what was needed to heat the tank,
but that's a small technical problem )

NetMax ...wandering mind again

wrote in message
snip
I can assure everyone
that all the lights had a full spectrum with different intensities in

different
wavelengths. Ingrid

"Agitator_" wrote:

I beg your pardon???

I will will have to strongly disagree with your statement.
Your run of the mill florescent light will not even come close to
re-creating the spectrum of the sun.
They may be able to re-create the proper lighting effect, but not the
spectrum.

Take a look at the lights required for reptiles and lizards, and the

special
"Grow" lights for planted aquaria.

What a blatent statement of ignorance!

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List