Old 25-04-2010, 06:20 PM
sundays child sundays child is offline
Registered User

Default Clematis Problem

Hello people, This is my first post so please excuse me if it is not in correct format or is in wrong place !
We moved into our home in August 2009. The garden is not very big, but is very pretty with some lovely plants. A previous owner has obviously loved it and has taken a lot of trouble to choose a really good mix of shrubs, bulbs and perrenials. There is a pergola which has several Clematis growing over it. From the labels left on the plants they are all identified as winter flowering evergreens. The problem is, the flowers are really insignificant and the plants have completely swamped the pergola. We are at a loss as to what to to for the best. They have obviously been there for several years as the stems are really thick and intertwined and it would be really difficult separating them to prune.

Should we bite the bullet and cut the whole lot down so we can plant some of our choosing ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

regards to all