Old 20-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Robert Flory

Default effort in clearing up hazy water... will this do?

"linda mar" wrote in message
Hi Kush,

what about the stuff accumulating under the plates? is it ok to leave

those
there? my tank is sitting on a wooden stand, so I can't see under the

tank,
but I was cleaning the UGF uptake tube using the bottle brush since I was
clearing the intake of the powerheads anyway (brown slimey stuff that
accumulated on the intake was clogging it a bit, and while I was at it, I
decided that the otos won't get to the algae growing inside the tube,
so...), and the suction the brush made drew up a lot of the brown fluffly
stuff from under the plate... I assume there is more where those stuff

came
from...
snip

The stuff under the plates is only likely to be a problem if you shut off
the UGF without cleaning it out and develop a anaerobic environment (no
oxygen) that leads to H2S and trouble.

DIY CO2 is really simple. I just installed one, granted I don't have a good
control on the injection rate, that goes in tomorrow, but It is working
water is fine. I just have to use a air bubbler to keep the CO2 level from
going overboard. I've had plants grow over and inch in two days.

Bob