Old 06-05-2010, 12:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default Report on chemicals out today

Op-Ed Columnist
New Alarm Bells About Chemicals and Cancer

By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF
Published: May 5, 2010

The Presidentıs Cancer Panel is the Mount Everest of the medical
mainstream, so it is astonishing to learn that it is poised to join
ranks with the organic food movement and decla chemicals threaten our
bodies.

The cancer panel is releasing a landmark 200-page report on Thursday,
warning that our lackadaisical approach to regulation may have
far-reaching consequences for our health.

Iıve read an advance copy of the report, and itıs an extraordinary
document. It calls on America to rethink the way we confront cancer,
including much more rigorous regulation of chemicals.

Traditionally, we reduce cancer risks through regular doctor visits,
self-examinations and screenings such as mammograms. The Presidentıs
Cancer Panel suggests other eye-opening steps as well, such as giving
preference to organic food, checking radon levels in the home and
microwaving food in glass containers rather than plastic.

more at

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/06/op...ristof.html?hp

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden