Old 14-05-2010, 02:49 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default First frost and harvest

We had our first frost two nights ago. I had pulled all the pumpkins out a
few days ago and harvested the rosellas on the exact last day (yea!) and the
last tomatoes and capsicum. The remnants look really sad, so much bare
earth, so many sagging stems. I hope the beans hang on until some of the
seeds are ripe. The sweet potatoes look like a tractor went over the top
several times, all that is above ground is green mush. Now I just need
somebody to dig them up, let's see: strong back, weak mind, hmmmmmm... It
is time to lift the ginger, tumeric, galangal and Jerusalem artichokes too.

Yesterday we made rosella jam. Vibrant purple! Yum!

David