Old 20-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Dave Millman

Default Yet another algea question... (sigh)

Mathias wrote:

I have very little algea in the tank, but recently I've seen some of those
long, nasty disgusting aglea-strings that looks like a long human hair on
some of the plants. They can be removed by simply pulling them out, but it
seems useless to even try to get them all. Now to my question; Does anyone
know if this perticular type of algea is caused by phosfates (have no test
for that) or anything else inperticulat that I CAN adjust, such as lighting
or fertilizer. Or is there a critter that'll eat the stuff?

This stuff infested my Java Moss for months. I finally got rid of ALL of it when
I started rigorously controlling my Iron dose.

I will be posting a detailed article soon. In my specific case, decoupling Fe
from trace elements worked best, unlike the PMDD formula wherein they are
coupled. I use Flourish and Flourish Fe. In my specific tank, dosing 0.008 ppm
Fe per day killed the thread algae but caused a yellowish tinge to appear in
many plants. Doubling that dose to 0.016 per day eliminated the yellowish tinge,
and the thread algae has not returned.