Old 18-05-2010, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
JLG JLG is offline

Default Bulbs for a twin tube hood

On Apr 26, 1:31*pm, Andy Pastuszak wrote:
I have a planted 30 gallon extra high tank with a 24" twin tube strip
light I bough a few years ago. *It cam with 2 T5 22" bulbs that have
since burned out. *I manage to find online, 22" 5500K "daylight" T5
bulbs which came in the mail today. *Are 5500K bulbs good to use in a
planted tank, or should I be using a different wavelength?

The bulbs that were in the hood were T5-14W-W 12000K bulbs, but I
couldn't find anyone that made a bulb like that.

Most stores recommended I go to a twin tube HO setup, but I don't want
to spend that kind of money. *I would prefer to find an old 24" twin
tube hood that uses standard size bulbs, so I can just buy 2 viatlites
and stick them in here, but no one seems ot make those anymore.

Andy

Hey Andy,

I also have a 29gal high planted aquarium. My hood could hold two
bulbs but I only have one flora glo 20 W- 24" (61 cm)- 25 mm Diameter-
T8 bulb. I am using an aqua clear 10-30gal filter with a sponge and
one bag of chemipure. I also give liquid nutrients (the Flourish
fundamentals kit). I also have
1-2inches of flourite substrate on top of my regular gravel. My plants
are absolutely flourishing. Sometimes i get a large growth of hair
algae but I have this little white pleco catfish thing and 4 pencil
fish that have been keeping it under control.

Jonna