Old 22-05-2010, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Snake bark maple - dead bark

On 05/21/2010 04:03 PM, kay wrote:
A snake bark maple (sorry, not sure which species, but if it's important
I can dive into my reference books and find out) has an area of dead
bark extending about half way around the tree and for a vertical
distance of about a foot.

Hello Kay,

If the area of dead bark hasn't been mechanically damaged (like chewed
by a rabbit or a deer) it's likely caused by a pseudomonas syringae
infection. These are very common with all snakebarks (and many other
Acers) and are particularly common in the sort of circumstances you
describe (standing water), and with a cold, wet winter or spring.

Here's a wikipedia link on same, although the picture is not
particularly useful as it shows long healed damage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudomonas_syringae

Pseudomonas are the bane of maple growers in our climate, you are not
alone. The good news is that your tree will likely recover, and in
time, if it isn't reinfected, the wound will heal. Some snakebarks, A.
rufinerve in particular, are very good at healing. (From mechanical
damage too).

If you want to find more information, you should post a picture of the
bark with your question to the maple forum:

http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/fo...isplay.php?f=9

There is a good thread which discusses the many problems associated with
maple bark he

http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/fo...ead.php?t=8751

-E