Old 22-05-2010, 10:17 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Layman[_2_] View Post

Can you lift up any of the bark to see if there is anything underneath
(animal or fungal)?
The bark is still firmly attached, but I could possibly take a knife to it

Quote:

How long has it been showing this damage?
Don't know. Not long. I was certainly admiring the bark within the last month, so it wasn't showing anything then.
[/quote]

If the
damaged area moved all the way round the trunk and is not just superficial,
then could it ringbark the tree and kill everything above it?

If there is a dead twig growing out of the damaged area is it cause or
effect?
[/quote]

Yes,, the damage looks as if it foes have the capacity to kill the whole tree. As to the dead twig, no idea as to cause or effect, but I have now spotted a dead branch above, which looks definitely like a result of whatever is causing the bark discoloration.