Old 23-05-2010, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Snake bark maple - dead bark

"kay" wrote in message

'Emery Davis[_3_ Wrote:
;887994']

If the area of dead bark hasn't been mechanically damaged (like chewed
by a rabbit or a deer) it's likely caused by a pseudomonas syringae
infection. These are very common with all snakebarks (and many other
Acers) and are particularly common in the sort of circumstances you
describe (standing water), and with a cold, wet winter or spring.

Here's a wikipedia link on same, although the picture is not
particularly useful as it shows long healed damage.

'Pseudomonas syringae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia'
(http://tinyurl.com/3ymxsg2)

Many thanks for the info. I was hoping you'd answer!

Mine differs from that pic in that the damaged bark is entirely smooth.
It wouldn't look out of place on a young sycamore (it's just not right
for a green and white snake-bark).

If you want to find more information, you should post a picture of the
bark with your question to the maple forum:

'General Maple Discussion - UBC Botanical Garden Forums'
(http://tinyurl.com/2bv7pgc)

There is a good thread which discusses the many problems associated
with
maple bark he

'Japanese Maple Bark Related Issues - UBC Botanical Garden Forums'
(http://tinyurl.com/2g7n987)

-E

Mine looks like what is being referred to on that forum as 'tight bark'.
It seems to be a largely US forum - is that diagnosis likely in the UK?
.. oops - I've just googled, and seen your response of May 2006 to a
similar question!

Could Verticillium wilt cause bark discolouration?

I think I'm resigned to losing the tree, which is a great shame since I
grew it from seed. I'll cut out the dead branch and hope it keeps
growing long enough to ripen this year's seed, then I can at lest keep
it alive in spirit ;-)

If you are going to do something drastic anyway, I wonder if there is any
chance that removing the dead (is it dead?) piece of bark plus another
couple of centimetres around all sides would stop the damage spreading. If
there are no other signs of this damage anywhere else on the tree, then
maybe it is completely localised, and excision may stop it in its tracks.

--

Jeff