Old 23-05-2010, 09:48 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Layman[_2_] View Post

If you are going to do something drastic anyway, I wonder if there is any
chance that removing the dead (is it dead?) piece of bark plus another
couple of centimetres around all sides would stop the damage spreading. If
there are no other signs of this damage anywhere else on the tree, then
maybe it is completely localised, and excision may stop it in its tracks.
At its widest, it's about half way round the trunk where the trunk is only 6in girth. Another couple of cm both sides would get close to completely ringing the trunk ;-)

It's a thought, though. I'll investigate a bit further.