Old 20-04-2003, 06:09 AM
Chuck Gadd

Default Compact Flourecent vs Metal Halide and tank change

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 18:37:03 GMT, "zooks" wrote:

1) If I have sufficient light on my 120 gal (@ 2 watts/gal) will the same
ratio work for the 55 or will I need more/less light?

You will need a little more light. On larger tanks, you need fewer
watts per gallon to give the same amount of light.

2) When comparing these two lighting technologies, does one CF watt = one
MH watt as far as plants care?

For the most part, yes.

6) I am familiar with the heat generated by fluorescent, how much is
generated by MH?

About the same as fluorescent, but it's concentrated in a smaller
space, since the MH fixtures and bulbs are much smaller.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua