Old 20-04-2003, 06:09 AM
jgreene

Default persistant hair algae

I have been battling what has been diagnosed as hair algae from my
local fish store, for several months now. I have a 55gal with 2X55W
compact fluorescent on 7hr a day. I dose daily with PMDD, but I am
careful not to dose too much, only about 7-10 drops. I have tried
algaefix for several weeks making sure all of the activated carbon was
out of the filter. I have used phosphate remover several times and
nothing works. I am spending over an hour a week removing the algae
from my frill and a few other plant species but it just keeps growing
back. My local store always suggests turning on the lights less, but
I have never heard that anywhere on the internet and I am afraid that
my plants might not be getting enough light if I turn them down any
more. For some reason the algae has only invaded certain species of
plants, so I am about ready to rip up all of the infected plants and
get more plants to replace them. Is there anything else I can try?

Jason