Old 20-04-2003, 07:10 AM
Sharon Frey

Default Profile/Laterite/Sand as substrate

Dave Millman wrote in message ...
redled wrote:

I'm setting up my 55g planted tank right now, and I was planning on using 2-3"
of Profile with laterite mixed in (or should I use laterite balls next to
plants?) and about 1" of coarse sand on top. Is the sand needed to keep
plants down, or should I just use the Profile? I'm worried that it will be
hard to vacuum the gravel should I need to without the sand sinking to the
bottom of the substrate.

One of the things I never regret is my decision to use Flourite substrate a year
ago (after a bumbling newbie failure with soil and gravel). The only complaint you
ever hear from Flourite users is the price.

A less than precise 75% Flourite, 25% Profile mixture, a half dozen or
so Malaysian Trumpet Snails rescued for free from a LFS that didn't
have a clue what they were has resulted in plants with thick vibrant
white roots lush growth, gravel that hasn't needed vacumming in more
that a year and fish inhabitants that never die, have never been sick
and always come up front when the human appears with food.

The anubias nana has piece of Jobes Lush Fern spikes in the substrate
close to her roots.

I asked and my LFS ordered Flourite for me at far less than internet
prices.

Hope I helped.

Sharon