Old 20-04-2003, 06:10 AM
Richard J. Sexton

Default persistant hair algae

Good suggestions so far. I have had hair algae in my tank for 2 years, and
its a real pain, and never really goes away, just slows down. I pinch it
out here and there, and keep it looking ok.

Do you want to control it or eradicate it? If you want to keep
it under control try the things people have already suggested.

If you want to eradicate it, you'll have to bleach
everything and quarentine incoming plants and/or bleach them.

Bleach mixed 20:1 with water is safe for 2-4 minutes for most plants.
They'll die back but will recover. Even crypts. Use 50% bleach to
clean the tank, sand, any hoses or equipment algae infected
water has ever touched. One cell of thread algae and it's game over
(again).

--
Richard Sexton | Mercedes Parts: http://parts.mbz.org