Old 20-04-2003, 06:10 AM
Darwin

Default Amazon Swords holes in leaf... iron problem?

Hmm... yes lighting could very well be a problem considering i only have the
default strip of light. So bascially getting by with just the 1
watt/gallon. I thought perhaps the light would only make it grow slower (I
didn't think swords needed very high light intake)... i'm just happy if it
grows and stays alive =)

I may try the substrate additive that Cris suggested but not sure yet... but
it would be a more feasible option at the moment. My tank is 90 Gallons and
buying new light strips is kinda $$ (especially for just one type of plant).
Would the normal iron tables at LFS do the trick? Does the iron leak out
into the water column with those ?? What about the option of Flourite mixed
in with the substrate under the Amazon?

Here's a pic anyways of the plant
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...53303486wVZfTB

Thanks for the help!!! Really appreciate it.

Darwin

"LeighMo" wrote in message
I have several plants in my aqaurium (java ferns, Anubias, Swords). The
Java fern i've had for over a year now and it' been growing nice and

steady
but the Amazon sword i purchased 2 months ago is not looking well.

What size is your tank, and how much light do you have over it?

Amazon swords need a lot more light than anubias and java fern do.

Insufficient light is the first thing I would suspect, if the anubias and

java
fern are doing well, but the swordplants aren't.

Leigh