Old 02-06-2010, 03:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Suzanne D.[_2_] Suzanne D.[_2_] is offline

Default Should I let my artichoke flower?

I live in southern Utah, zone 7-8. I planted some globe artichoke plants
two years ago, and cut them down last year to make room for something else
when I saw that the artichokes didn't seem to be doing very well. (In fact,
I think I complained about them here!) Unbeknownst to me, this is what
you're SUPPOSED to do to make them strong and healthy, so this year I've got
some nice big artichoke plants.

I see a bud on ONE of them. I assume there won't be many more this year,
since they are still pretty young. We are trying to decide whether to eat
it or let it bloom for beauty. Just one artichoke wouldn't make much of a
meal, so I am sort of curious to see the flower. But what I want to know
is...Is it better for future production to allow this to flower, or to cut
it off, or does it even matter? If letting it flower would somehow stunt
the growth of other buds, then I'd cut it off, but if it doesn't, then I'd
like to let it flower.

Does anyone know the answer to this?
--S.