Old 02-06-2010, 06:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Should I let my artichoke flower?

Suzanne D. wrote:
I live in southern Utah, zone 7-8. I planted some globe artichoke
plants two years ago, and cut them down last year to make room for
something else when I saw that the artichokes didn't seem to be doing
very well. (In fact, I think I complained about them here!) Unbeknownst
to me, this is what you're SUPPOSED to do to make them
strong and healthy, so this year I've got some nice big artichoke
plants.
I see a bud on ONE of them. I assume there won't be many more this
year, since they are still pretty young. We are trying to decide
whether to eat it or let it bloom for beauty. Just one artichoke
wouldn't make much of a meal, so I am sort of curious to see the
flower. But what I want to know is...Is it better for future
production to allow this to flower, or to cut it off, or does it even
matter? If letting it flower would somehow stunt the growth of other
buds, then I'd cut it off, but if it doesn't, then I'd like to let it
flower.
Does anyone know the answer to this?
--S.

Cutting the topmost bud will encourage budding in the lower axils. You may
well get enough for a meal this season as they do bloom over a period of
time, what you see now is not necessarily what you get, if not enough for a
meal the chances are you will get at least one more so you can let it go and
see what the flower is like.

David