Old 20-04-2003, 07:10 AM
redled

Default DIY CO2 diffuser

In my 10g tank, i use one 2L pop bottle. For the diffuser I use an upturned
cup that is about 2" in diameter, and it works just fine. I'd guess that
using this setup, at least half of the CO2 bubbles out of the tank, and the
rest dissolves. But, it stays at about 15ppm which is good for my needs. In
my 55g tank, I have been trying to use the same method but with 2 2L pop
bottles and part of a plastic 500mL milk container as the upturned cup. It
has about 4 times the surface are of the other one, and again probably half
of the CO2 bubbles out. But, I can only reach about 10ppm, which is too low
(I'm aiming for about 20). I want to stay with a simple setup, without using
a powerhead. I really can't afford one for now but I'm hoping someone else
out there has built a better diffuser than me and will share thier secrets.
I've tried using a piece of rigid tubing filled with marbles, gravel, and
various other things to try and make tiny bubble that might dissolve better
but I've had no luck. Any ideas?

__
"Insert witty comment here."
-John