Old 10-06-2010, 10:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Marios Giannakoulias Marios Giannakoulias is offline

Default Bee orchids

The issue is more complex than presented and may be just a case of
falce assumptions. According to the only robust monograph of Ophrys
(Pedersen and Faurholdt, 2007, Ophrys, the bee orchids of Europe, Kew
Publishing) O. arachnitiformis is a hybrid between O. sphegodes and Ï.
fuciflora. Thus, it s reproductive pattern is hard to predict, since
Ophrys species tend to be particular in their hybridisation. Also, O.
lupercalis is treated as synonym of O. fusca ssp. fusca.
The issue is that even individual plants in one population may have
different odours, in order for the pollinator to be missled and not
get to know he is not going to have any reward from visiting that
particular odour-signature. When I read the article, I ll make more
comments of course.

On May 7, 7:48*am, ezylala wrote:
very interesting it is ... !i got information from it .. thanks so much
!

--
ezylala